'OM' stands for "Orchestra Model," but 80 years after this body shape was first designed it has become the most popular 14-fret model with fingerstyle guitar soloists who choose to play on steel strings. Yet flatpickers also find it appealing, and when the graceful cutaway is added these OMs are often used by lead players who routinely explore all 20 frets much as they would on an electric guitar. The compact shape makes the Collings OM equally easy to handle onstage or when sitting on the couch, and the relatively shallow body (barely over 4 inches deep) results in balanced tone and an immediate response.
Other specificatrions include
- Top Adirondack spruce
- Back & Sides Koa
- Neck Honduran mahogany
- Body Binding Ivoroid with b/w/b/w/b purfling, 42 Style Abalone Top Border
- Fingerboard Binding w/Purfling
- Peghead Binding .100" ivoroid with b/w purfling
- Bridge Ebony belly-style with 2 1/4" spacing
- Fingerboard Ebony with no inlay
- Bridge Pins/End Pin Ebony with abalone dot
- Nut Bone, 1 3/4"
- Saddle Bone, Drop-in
- Neck Profile Modified V
- Peghead Profile Tapered square with volute
- Neck Joint Mortise & tenon hybrid
- Truss Rod Fully adjustable
- Frets Medium 18% nickel-silver
- Peghead Veneer Stained Exotic Ebony with Flourish Peghead Inlay
- Tuners Gold Waverly (16:1 ratio)
- Backstrip 3-style (Chevron)
- Rosette Abalone
- Short Scale Length 24 7/8"
- Brace Material Adirodack spruce
- Brace Pattern Pre-war scalloped X-brace
- Fingerboard Radius 14" - 26" compound
- Body Finish High gloss nitrocellulose lacquer
- Pickguard Tortoise
- Strings D'Addario EJ-16 (.012"- .053")
- Body Length 19 1/4"
- Body Depth 4 1/8"
- Lower Bout Width 15"
- Total Length 39 1/2"
- Case Deluxe Hardshell case by TKL
For more information about the Collings OM-42A Koa, please contact us.