7 lbs 13 oz
Used/Demo – Fender Custom Shop Master Built Bob Bain “Son of a Gunn” Telecaster
Perhaps the most-heard, yet unmentioned guitarist in history is Bob Bain. With his trusty Telecaster, he created the soundtrack to American pop culture in the latter half of the 20th century, playing on sessions with legendary artists ranging from Frank Sinatra to Quincy Jones, and on TV show themes such as “Peter Gunn” and “Mission Impossible”. Still gigging and swingin’ at 91 years young, even after a 22-year stint in Doc Severinsen’s renowned Tonight Show Band, Bain’s work has influenced almost every guitarist who came along after him, whether they realize it or not.
Heavily modified to meet the demands of playing every musical style imaginable, Bain’s modified Telecaster was often imitated, but never recreated—until now. Master Builder Paul Waller studied every detail of this amazing instrument, and reproduced it in exacting detail, as only the artisans of the Fender Custom Shop can.
Like many session musicians, Bain modified his instrument in the name of flexibility and to meet his personal needs. Not content with the wealth of stock sounds available, he added a Bigsby® B-16 tremolo system and placed a humbucking pickup in the neck position. The added sonic flexibility afforded by these mods allowed Bain to stretch across genres ranging from rock to jazz to country to pop, in the process rewriting the vocabulary of modern music.
Other features are stock for a guitar from that era, including the ultra-stable riftsawn maple neck with a ‘53” Soft V”-shaped profile, 7.25”-radius fingerboard, black phenolic pickguard, vintage-style tuning machines with Fender logo, round string tree and bone nut. Includes a hardshell case, strap and Certificate of Authenticity.
This run will be limited to 30 guitars worldwide.
Other specifications include:
- Model Name: BOB BAIN “SON OF A GUNN” TELECASTER®
- Model Number: 9215000229
- Series: Master Built
- Color: Nocaster® Blonde
- Body Shape: Telecaster®
- Body Material: Premium Ash
- Body Finish: Nitrocellulose Lacquer
- Neck Material: Maple Rift Sawn
- Neck Shape: Soft “V”
- Scale Length: 25.5″ (648 mm)
- Fingerboard Radius: 7.25″ (184.1 mm)
- Number of Frets: 21
- Fret Size: Vintage
- String Nut: Bone
- Nut Width: 1.655″ (42.037 mm)
- Truss Rod Nut: Vintage-Style Slotted
- Headstock: Telecaster®
- Neck Plate: 4-Bolt Vintage-Style
- Neck Finish: Nitrocellulose Lacquer
- Fingerboard: Maple
- Position Inlays: Black Dots
- Bridge Pickup: Custom Shop Handwound ’51 Nocaster® Bridge
- Neck Pickup: Seymour Duncan® ‘59™ SH-1N Humbucking
- Controls: Volume, Tone
- Pickup Switching: 3-Position Blade: Position 1. Bridge Pickup, Position 2. Bridge and Neck Pickups, Position 3. Neck Pickup
- Pickup Configuration: SS
- Bridge: Bigsby B16 Vibrato
- Tuning Machines: Vintage-Style with Fender Logo
- Orientation: Right-Hand
- Control Knobs: Nocaster® Chrome Relic®
- Strings: Fender® USA, NPS, (.010-.046 Gauges)
- Included Accessories: Deluxe Hardshell Case, Strap, Certificate of Authenticity
- Master Builder: Paul Waller
- 7 lbs 13 oz
For more information about the Fender Custom Shop Master Built Bob Bain “Son of a Gunn” Telecaster, please contact us.
PLEASE CALL: 314-781-7500
Out of stock