Gibson Custom Shop Limited Edition 50th Anniversary 1968 Les Paul Custom VOS Ebony 9.3 #090948
In the summer of 1968, Gibson did something unprecedented. They re-released two guitar models that were discontinued a decade earlier, a Les Paul Custom and a Les Paul Goldtop. Many famous guitarists at the time adopted 1950s Les Paul models because of their heavy tones, vocal qualities and endless sustain, creating a demand for the classic body style that continues through today.
The 1968 Les Paul Custom stood apart from its predecessors in a few significant ways. Instead of a solid mahogany body, it now had a solid maple top on a mahogany back — adding the clarity and bite that many rock guitarists sought. It also came standard with two humbuckers as opposed to three, providing additional picking clearance. And lastly it had a 14-degree peghead angle for reduced string tension. This set of features instantly became the new standard for the Les Paul Custom model, which has been produced continuously by Gibson ever since.
This 50th Anniversary 1968 Les Paul Custom was designed to be the final say in historical accuracy, tone and feel. Every detail and spec was meticulously revived by the skilled artisans at Gibson Custom Shop to provide an amazing vintage experience. Each will include an exclusive case, collectible switch plate medallion, throwback hang tags and guitar picks, and a copy of the 1968 Gibson Gazette which announced the new Les Paul models to the world. Limited to only 300 total instruments produced.
Other Features Include:
- Series Gibson Custom Limited Edition
- Body Style Les Paul
- Back Lightweight Solid Mahogany Back
- Top 2-Piece Maple Top, Hide Glue Fit
- Weight relief None
- Neck Neck Solid Mahogany, Long Tenon, Hide Glue Fit, 14 Degree Peghead Angle
- Neck profile Medium-Chunky C-Shape, scanned from original
- Nut width 1.687”, 42.85mm
- Fingerboard Solid Ebony, Hide Glue Fit
- Scale length 24.75”, 62.865cm
- Number of frets 22
- Nut Nylon
- Inlay Pearl Block
- Bridge ABR-1 Tune-o-matic w/ Nylon Saddles
- Tailpiece Lightweight Aluminum Stopbar
- Knobs Black Witch Hats w/ Gold Reflectors
- Tuners Kluson Waffleback Plating Gold
- Neck pickup 68 Custom Humbucker
- Bridge pickup 68 Custom Humbucker
- Controls 2 500K CTS Volume Pots, 2 500K CTS Tone Pots, Hand-Wired Harness with Black Beauty Capacitors, Switchcraft Toggle Switch
- Case Gibson Custom Black Hardshell with Gold Lining
- 50th Anniversary Switch Plate Medallion (w/ Extra Black Plastic Cover in the Case), Replica 1968 Gibson Gazette, Exclusive 1968-style Gibson Guitar Picks, Gibson Custom Shop Certificate of Authenticity
- SKU LPC68PSL12596
- 9 lbs 3 oz
For more information on this Gibson Custom Shop Instrument, please contact us.
PLEASE CALL: 314-781-7500
Out of stock