Benson Tall Bird – All Tube Reverb
The Tall Bird features DC filaments for a noise floor second to none, and is just as at home in the studio patched into a console as it is sitting on an amp in a crowded venue. The Tall Bird especially excels at percussive guitar playing, filling in the gaps of notes with a haunting swell.
Part of the unique design is that, rather than a single mix knob, there are dedicated dry and wet volume knobs. With the dry knob at 12 oclock (5 on the dial), the dry signal is at unity gain, but if dialed higher you can use it to push an amplifier! Or you can turn it all the way down and use the Tall Bird all wet on a mix buss, or send it to another amp for weird spatial effects.
The dwell control controls how hard the reverb tank is hit with signal; turned up to a certain point it can overdrive the reverb tank for euphonic, cavernous reverb, or set halfway it can do a polite clean reverb that can still completely overwhelm the dry signal if you want it to with a simple twist of the wet knob.
Another unique feature of the Tall Bird that is begging to be used creatively is that when the footswitch is clicked off, the tail of the reverb still rings out, a benefit of the uncommonly quiet reverb return circuitry.
Other specifications include:
- Tubes: 2x12AX7s 1x12AU7
- 3 spring 9″ Jensen Mod reverb tank. Yes, it is a short tank. This particular short tank sounds better for guitar with this particular circuit. Tip for recording engineers: if using on vocals or drums, run the RCA cables out to a Jensen Mod 9EB2C1B…sound like a plate!
- Head 13.5”W 8”H 8.25”D 13 lbs
- Point to point construction on terminal strips – no circuit, eyelet or turret board
- Carbon Comp resistors
- Mallory 150M tone capacitors
- DC filments for low noise
- Baltic birch head cabinet
For more information about the Benson Tall Bird, please contact us.
PLEASE CALL: 314-781-7500
Out of stock