Here to remind you why you fell in love with us in the first place, the new Authentics are constructed the old way - with hide glue, throughout, and historically-accurate detailing confirmed by using a CAT scan machine located at the Smithsonian Institute. Based on a 1933 OM-18 on loan from Fred Oster of Vintage Instruments, this guitar is constructed with a genuine mahogany back and sides and an Adirondack spruce top using an authentic circa 1933 bracing pattern. Featuring period-correct "OM-18" Authentic-style appointments, right down to the Authentic 1933 neck barrel and heel. Martin’s new Vintage Tone System (VTS) is employed for the top and braces.
The new Martin Vintage Tone System (VTS) uses a unique recipe that is based on the historic torrefaction system. The VTS acts much like a time machine in which Martin can target certain time periods and age the top/braces to that era. This focused method allows Martin’s craftsmen and women to recreate not only the pleasing visual aesthetics of a vintage guitar, but also reproduce the special tones previously reserved for vintage instruments.
Other specifications Include:
- Construction: Mahogany Blocks/Dovetail Neck Joint - Hide Glue Construction
- Body Size: 000-14 Fret
- Top: VTS Solid Adirondack Spruce
- Rosette: Old Style 18
- Top Bracing Pattern: Standard ''X'' Scalloped (Authentic Style) - Circa 1933
- Top Braces: Solid Adirondack Spruce 5/16''
- Back Material: Solid Genuine Mahogany
- Back Purfling: Solid Madagascar Rosewood Strip
- Side Material: Solid Genuine Mahogany
- Endpiece: Solid Madagascar Rosewood in a Narrow 1933 Shaped
- Endpiece Inlay: none
- Binding: Black Boltaron
- Top Inlay Style: Multiple Black/White Boltaron
- Side Inlay: none
- Back Inlay: none
- Neck Material: Solid Genuine Mahogany
- Neck Shape: Authentic 1933 Barrel and Heel
- Nut Material: Solid Black Ebony
- Headstock: Solid/1939 Taper
- Headplate: Solid Madagascar Rosewood/Authentic Style (1933) Gold Lettering w/No Black Outline
- Heelcap: Solid Black Ebony
- Fingerboard Material: Solid Black Ebony
- Scale Length: 25.4''
- Number of Frets Clear: 14
- Number of Frets Total: 20
- Fingerboard Width at Nut: 1-3/4''
- Fingerboard Width at 12th Fret: 2-1/4''
- Fingerboard Position Inlays: Old Style 18
- Fingerboard Binding: none
- Finish Back & Sides: Polished Gloss w/Aging Toner
- Finish Top: Polished Gloss w/Aging Toner - 1933 Chris Hillman Shaded
- Finish Neck: Polished Gloss w/Aging Toner
- Bridge Material: Solid Black Ebony
- Bridge Style: Authentic Style Belly w/Long Saddle
- Bridge String Spacing: 2-3/8''
- Saddle: 16'' Radius/Fossilized Ivory
- Tuning Machines: Waverly Nickel 8060 w/Butterbean Knobs
- Recommended Strings: Martin Bronze Medium Gauge (M150)
- Bridge & End Pins: Black
- Pickguard: Delmar Tortoise Color
- Case: 533V Harptone style
- Interior Label: none
- Electronics: none
For more information about the Martin OM-18 Authentic 1933 VTS, please contact us.